Often called the “Venice of the Cotswolds,” Bourton on the Water is a truly beautiful and unique location.
This town has a number of unique attractions that make it the perfect place to holiday during any time of the year. Here are just a few of the things you can do when staying at one of the many hotels or holiday cottage in Bourton on the Water.
- The Model Village – Inside of Bourton on the Water is a small version of this wonderful Cotswold town. Built to 1/9th scale, the model village is a perfect reproduction of this town, circa 1937. Unlike any other model village in the world, this one uses original building materials and techniques to make the tiny houses, businesses, and green spaces as authentic and true-to-life as possible. You won’t just get an idea of how residents lived in 1937, but also the beauty of Cotswold architecture.
- Birdland – This zoo houses only birds and is the ultimate destination for any bird lover. An extensive collection of penguins from the South Atlantic, as well as a variety of exotic birds that are rarely seen in captivity make this a must-see attraction for anyone visiting Bourton on the Water.
- Cotswold Motoring Museum – With one of the most comprehensive collection of antique and vintage automobiles, this museum also houses a number of unique pieces of motoring history and plays home to Brum, a car who starred in a long-running children’s television show on the BBC.
- World-Famous Gardens – Bourton on the Water is the ideal location if you are interested in touring some of the most famous gardens in the Cotswolds. Hidcote Manor, Bourton House, Kiftsgate Court, Sezincote and many others are all less than twenty minutes from Bourton-on-the-Water.
- The Dragonfly Maze – The brainchild of Kit Williams, this maze rewards the searcher with a lovely pavilion at the end of the maze. While the maze itself is challenge enough, there are also clues scattered along the path, that when collected and deciphered, provide an additional layer of fun to the maze and another reward at the end of the search.
- Model Railway Exhibition – Young and old will love the more than 500 feet of model railway track laid at this exhibition.
- L’Anatra Italian Restaurant – when you’re looking for a delicious lunch or dinner in Bourton on the Water, head to Chester House Hotel, located conveniently right in the centre of town, for a super Italian meal at their in-house Italian Restaurant, L’Anatra.
Bourton on the Water, the Venice of the Cotswolds
The many and varied attractions in this small village make Bourton on the Water in the Cotswolds a great option for families, friends, and couples looking for a unique holiday in one of the most beautiful parts of the UK.